Thursday 3 February 2011

Creating a Buzz...


So a week in, and my notebook tells me its time to upload my first blog entry. Suggested subject matter, are Lecture topics, Core Readings, Placements and Sectors of interest. However as the unit is only beginning to unravel, and with fear of offending the weeks guest lecturers by critically analyzing them, I wish to talk about something which has ignited a passion in me. A strong admiration, and more importantly a desire to achieve something, which makes other people, feel the way I do about this particular piece of advertising.

 So, when preparing for an interview, at DDB, I stumbled upon, their Interactive marketing division: Tribal DDB. Specializing in digital campaigns, I could hardly believe my luck that I have been offered work experience at this amazing agency, especially when I found out they were behind the HASBRO Monopoly City streets campaign.

For those of you who are unaware (or have been living under a rock), Tribal DDB created the biggest game of Monopoly ever! Teaming up with Google maps, they created an online campaign that brought monopoly into the real world and turned the globe into one giant game board.


Their primary objective was to create a ‘buzz’ around the launch of the new updated game to build consumer excitement and awareness of the new version, and that they did. They met this objective to such an extent that when the game launched servers went down, and Tribal were set to go down in history as a cautionary tale to companies who wanted to use social media to promote their brands. Yet they turned it around, sales of monopoly rose across the board and the hype around the game made news all over the world.

To me this campaign is one of my favourites, maybe I’m biased, but even to an untrained eye, it’s hard not to see how this digital campaign is not brilliant at meeting its objectives, and making me look forward to this unit, more so than before. If this is Digital Communications, count me in.

1 comment:

  1. Social Media Marketing Bournemouth :Vizz Media – We are leading social media marketing & services provider in Poole, Bournemouth & Hampshire. Visit us for social media marketing & social media services.

    ReplyDelete